November 2017Welcome to FACS 8! I will see you on Thursday. We only have three classes before thanksgiving break so we will attempt to get through our Career Connection unit so we can start with Food Prep when you return.Today you will...
Teen Resume Tips2PAUSE POINT ??:The resume used in this video did not have a good use of "white space" . Why is white space important on a resumeUSE THE GUIDE AS YOU FILL IN THE PAPER SLOPPY COPY OF THE RESUMEA. RESUMENow we will fill in the blanks on our worksheet:2Step 1: HEADINGWrite your First- Middle-Last names on the lines above the address on your worksheet. We will use the school address and phone as a way to protect your privacy during our Career Connections Unit.___________________ ___________________ ___________________2643 Elmwood Avenue Rochester New York14618 585-242-5100NEXT....2Step 2. OBJECTIVEChoose two jobs from the Wegmans list. These will serve as objectives for this unit. Please see the chart paper (or handout) or below:
- complete the "sloppy-copy" of the teen resume on paper, but use the step by step guide below
- If you need to brain storm with teacher on the Experience heading ...please do so and pause at that point. You will need two experiences on your resume
- The second half of class, you will type this information into the attached WORD template (Student template). Find it in "related files
2Step 3.EDUCATION2014-PresentList ALL of the classes you've taken in your three years at TCMS. Even if you were NOT here all 3 years, list the similar courses you've taken in your Middle School Experience. For example, you take; English, Social Studies, Math, Science every year. List these classes on one line alphabetically in the "EDUCATION" section. Follow this process for your other subjects taken.Example of the next lines might look like:Art, Health, Home and Careers, TechnologyPhysical Education, Chorus, Band, Extended Studies2Step 4 EXPERIENCE "I have no experience!"is that what I hear you say?You might think your don't have any experience, but ....raise your hand if you've been helping your family with household jobs for at least two years.Ok....guess what you've got experience!On your resume it might look something like this.Home Helper
- Cashier Stock Shelves
- Produce Floral
- Pizza Shop Olde World Cheese
- Sub Shop Coffee Bar
- Bakery Pharmacy
- Deli Product Demo
- Helping Hands
- Customer Service WKIDS Fun Center
Above are examples of your Job title and a clear, professional why to describe your work.Why list this on your resume?
- Assist family with household chores
- Support family with home maintenance
LET'S BRAINSTORM TOGETHERARE YOU...
- It might be one of the only experiences you have
- It shows committment to your first job experience; being a dedicated family member
THESE ARE ALL UNPAID EXPERIENCES THAT SHOW GOOD WORK ETHIC.List your job title first and use an action word to describe your responsibility. Keep is concise, professional and positive. NOW fill in the two places on your resume using the discussed writing style.Integrate ACTION WORDS: There are handouts of these words available on the teacher's desk.2STEP 5 ACHIEVEMENTSAchievements are things that you do currently or have done for a length of time . They show commitment, which is an employable skills.Examples could be: Karate, dance, baseball, chorus, violin. These should be specific to YOU and show the span of time you have been involved or are still involved. An achievement is something you are proud of.See below...Black belt Karate2009-PresentCello2012-2017Bar Mitzvah2016All County2014-Present2STEP 6 HOBBIES AND INTERESTSHobbies & Interests are things that you like to do with your free time. These may mirror your achievements at times. This is a good thing...WHY??Hobbies & Interests DO NOT need to show a date span.Keep them strung together to save space if you have manyKeep it professional!! Remember Resumes should be ONE PAGE so don't go crazy.....Do Say: Music, Movies, BooksFamily, Friends, TravelDon't Say: Mall, Hanging with friends , YouTube, Sleeping2STEP 7 REFERENCESChoose two people from different areas of your life who can speak highly of you. If you choose a coach then maybe the second reference could be a teacher or administrator. It can be outside of school. We will use the school address for their address. You must use their full name and be consistent;DO Say:DON'T SAYMs. MoranAmy MoranMr. ThomasMr. ThomasPlease read the box on the resume worksheet titled:"Your reference must include"Now that your handwritten resume, "Ducks in a Row worksheet" is complete, use it to create a typed 1st draft resume.@Scroll down to Related Files below:
- ON THE MORNING SHOW?
- CLASS OFFICER?
- TEAM CAPTAIN?
- SUNDAY SCHOOL VOLUNTEER?
- open template " student template to follow"
- save as "firstname_resume" in H&C folder in your documents
- Begin to type information off handwritten copy into the renamed template!
REMEMBER YOUR RESUME IS A SNAPSHOT OF YOU! MAKE IT NEAT , EFFECTIVE AND CONCISE. Make sure :
- NO SPELLING OR FORMAT ERRORS
- WE WILL USE THE SCHOOL ADDRESS AND PHONE
- PLEASE DO THE SAME FOR THE REFERENCES (TYPE THEM IN EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOT ASKED THEM YET)
- Peer edit each other's work, PRINT ONE COPY TO GIVE TO TEACHER TO EDIT!!
- Once checked by teacher , MAKE EDITS & print Two copies IF YOU ARE TOLD TO
Revision Process:If you have line spacing issues remember to use the paragraph icon and adjust the line spacing to 0 point between lines before and after!
TO SAVE RESUME TEMPLATE AS WORKABLE COPY:
- File "Save As" FIRST NAME_RESUME on your user, in documents and in your Home & Careers Folder. PLEASE Peer edit according to the sample copy of "Susan Hasbeen Successful".
- Once Teacher approves your edits and says your ready for final draft;
- Print TWO copies to the 413 or 307(three copies if you'd like one)
- Turn BOTH copies into the teacher in the manila folder marked with your Class time and Day
- IF YOU NEED TO WAIT FOR YOUR EDITS YOU MAY READ THE "MAY I SEE YOUR REFERENCES " ARTICLE ATTACHED BELOW.
You will set up an account in Naviance. You will find information about Naviance under the tab 8th grade Home and Careers. It is important to read the instructions before beginning.
Advance to Naviance only if Teacher has collected TWO, ERROR FREE RESUMES FROM YOU AND INSTRUCTED YOU TO MOVE ON.....
As we listen to this advice, think about what skills, talents and experiences you can highlight about yourself. On our resumes we will include two references, since this is a starter resume.Interview Dos and Don't s