Brighton Central School District Curriculum Council
Purpose of Curriculum Council
The Curriculum Council is a standing advisory committee to the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, the Superintendent and the Board of Education that has as its primary goal, the ongoing improvement of the district’s educational program. Through its review of current instructional programs and study of best practice, the Council seeks to:
- support the district's mission, vision, goals and priorities
- provide students with rigorous educational programs and
- provide students with instructional programs which will enable them to meet and exceed New York State standards
Areas of Responsibility
- Oversee the curriculum planning and management process
- Work with curriculum leaders to identify areas of need based on data analysis, research of best practice, district and building initiatives.
- Identify and analyze student performance data to ensure the alignment of the standards, curriculum, and instructional program
- Monitor all instructional and curricular committees.
- Oversee program evaluation process.
- Engage in self-directed study to make recommendations for new programs and practices which are strategically and educationally sound.
- Create ad hoc subcommittees of the Council as necessary to facilitate information gathering process.
- Review and approve new programs brought forth by other buildings, departments and committees.
- Communicate with BCSD community to share work of the Council and gather input.
Professional Development of the Committee
Council members will be given opportunities to develop an understanding of educational program issues such as:
- New York State and national standards
- Student achievement data
- Opportunities for use of curriculum maps to inform building and district initiatives
- Programs and courses currently in place in the district
- Strengths of the district’s programs and opportunities for improvement
- Current issues and research in education
Meeting Schedule: The Council will hold six meetings/year; four after school and two during school hours. Members should make every attempt to be present at each meeting.
Agendas/Minutes: Agendas, supporting documentation, and minutes will be posted on the Curriculum Council web site located off of the District’s web site.
Responsibilities of Council Members
- To be an instructional leader for your constituent group.
- Communicate work of the Council to constituent groups following each meeting. Provide feedback and input to Council on individual issues from building/team level work. This feedback will then inform next steps.
- Work with the Assistant Superintendent to identify topics for inclusion on the agenda or for further in-depth study.
- Lead or participate in subcommittee work as appropriate.
- Attend all meetings.