Preschool Special Education
The Brighton Committee on Preschool Education is appointed by the Board of Education and is responsible for identifying preschool children with disabilities and arranging for the delivery of special education services. Educational programs and services for preschool children with disabilities from the ages of three to five are the responsibility of the school district in which the child resides in accordance with New York State Education Law, Article 89.
Mandated Committee Members
- Special Education Representative from the school district who serves as the Chairperson
- Parent of a preschool child or elementary aged child with a disability who resides in the district
- Professional who participated in the evaluation of the child or the child’s teacher
- County representative
- Early intervention coordinator for those children who are transitioning from the birth to two program provided by the county of residence
According to New York State regulations, the participants at a CPSE meeting when an Individualized Education Plan is developed or revised are the member of the CPSE as described above as well as the child’s parents, the child’s teachers and, as appropriate, the child.
Committee on Preschool Special Education Contacts
Paul DiStefano, CPSE Chairperson
(585) 242-5200 x3965 Paul_DiStefano@bcsd.org
Kathleen Wihlen, CPSE Secretary
(585) 242-5200 x5239 firstname.lastname@example.org