NYS Ed Law -2D Compliance
What is Ed Law 2D?
Education Law § 2-d protects student personally identifiable information (PII) from unauthorized disclosure. Additionally, Education Law § 2-d provides parents with rights regarding their child's PII. The parent fact sheet explains these rights.
For each contract the BCSD enters into with a provider, and where the third party contractor receives student or staff personally identifiable data, the following information will be included:
- the intent for which the student data or staff data will be used;
- a published agreement that the third party contractor will ensure that the subcontractors, persons or entities that the third party contractor will share the student or staff data with, if any, will abide by data protection and security requirements;
- the disposal of data that contains personally identifiable items;
- a process for parents, students, staff who wish to challenge the accuracy of the student data or staff data that is collected; and
- the location of data and where it will be stored.
Resources for Parents
- Parents Bill of Rights
- Fact Sheet for Parents
- Federal Laws that Protect Student Data
- FAQs About Data Privacy and Security
- Student Data Inventory: New York State Education law Section 2-d requires that the State Education Department make publicly available on the department's website an inventory and understandable description of the student, teacher and principal data elements collected with an explanation and/or legal or regulatory authority outlining the reasons such data elements are collected and the intended uses and disclosure of the data.