Planning to Paddle? Know Your Limits!
When getting ready to head out on your next paddling trip, be sure to keep these five safety tips in mind to ensure you have an enjoyable time on the water.
1. Take an on-water Course - whether it's a safety or skill development course, an ACA on-water instruction course provides the information you need for canoeing, kayaking, stand up paddleboarding, rafting or safety & rescue.
2. Wear Your Lifejacket - Expect to capsize and swim occasionally when paddling a canoe, kayak, SUP or raft? Learn more about PFDs and how they might just save your life.
3. Cold Water Safety - Cold water is extremely dangerous! Learn more about protecting yourself in this environment
4. Rules of the Road - What paddlers need to know when sharing the waterways
5. Safety Check - Safety tips you need to consider the next time you head out on the water
In addition to the "Top Five" here are 5 more to round out the "Top Ten"!
6. Practices, Ethics and Conduct - Key points on how to appropriately share, and enjoy our natural paddling resources
7. Know Your Limits - Good things to contemplate before you leave shore
8. River Paddler's Guide to Rescue - The basics, just in case...
10. Trip Preparation and Planning - Getting ready to schedule your next trip? Learn more useful tips
Canoes and kayaks are available to rent weekdays/weekends (see hours below) at the Genesee Waterways Center.
Genesee Valley Boathouse Location
From the GWC boathouse located in Genesee Valley Park, paddle up the Genesee River toward the Erie Canal or Red Creek “blue trails”. You may see kingfishers swooping across the creek, deer, ducks, turtles basking on a log in the sunlight, and much more!
Lock 32 Whitewater Park Location
Recreational (flatwater) kayak rentals will be available from the Lock 32 Whitewater Park, in Pittsford. The Whitewater course is actually below the canal, in the bed of an Erie Canal spillway. We have docks on the Erie Canal above the spillway, where it is flat, slow-moving water. From here you can paddle along this scenic part of the Erie Canal toward Brighton/Rochester!
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CENTER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CLOSE EITHER FACILITY DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER!
2014 Rental Schedule
Genesee Valley Park 585-328-3960
May 24th to September 29 Monday & Tuesday CLOSED
Wednesday - Friday, 11:00 am- 7:00 pm
Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sunday, 11:am - 5:00 pm
Closed July 6 and September 14, due to other events. Contact us if you are looking for group rates. Lock 32 585-586-4330
Opening Day: May 31st Monday CLOSED Tuesday - Friday 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm Saturday & Sunday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm Closing Day: Sunday, October 12th
2014 Flatwater Rental Rates
All flatwater rental rates are fees "per boat" and are applicable to both the Genesee Valley Park and Lock 32 locations. 1 hour $15 2 hours $25 3 hours $30 Half Day $32 Full Day $40 Flatwater Season Pass at the Genesee Valley Park Location Season Pass $175.00 per individual Click here to purchase a Season Pass! *Season Pass holders can canoe/kayak for an unlimited duration during our rental hours.
Click here for 2014 Age Requirements & Safety Guidelines for Canoe & Kayak Rentals
Genesee Waterways Center
Mailing Address: PO Box 18607 Rochester, NY 14618
*If this information has been useful to you, consider supporting the nation's oldest nonprofit paddlesports organization: