- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 2-3 one pound bags of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 ½ cups pearl barley
- 2 chopped onions
- 6 cups water
- 2 envelopes (1.8 ounce) dry vegetable soup mix (Lipton or Knorr)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Cooked chicken, cut up (try using 1-2 rotisserie chickens). In a large stock pot, combine onions and a small amount of water. Cook till tender.
Add all other ingredients except chicken and bring to a boil. Simmer 30 minutes.
Add chicken and continue simmering until barley is tender.
- 5 lbs. ground beef
- 4 to 5 packages of chili seasoning
- 5 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
- 5 cans kidney or other kinds of beans such as black beans - drained
Cook ground beef. Drain fat.
Add seasoning packets, crushed tomatoes and beans.
- 4 onions, chopped (or 2 bags of frozen diced onions)
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of celery, sliced
- 3 cans green chilies
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups diced potatoes
- 6 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (try canned) (optional)
- 6 cups milk
- 2 bags frozen corn
Saute onions, garlic, celery and green chilies in olive oil.
Stir in flour.
Add broth, potatoes, and seasonings.
Cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add chicken, corn and milk. Heat through.
- 6 medium red potatoes
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 6 cups milk (I used 2% but any would do)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 pounds meat (ham works well or cook Wegmans mild Italian sausage until no longer pink, and break into small pieces)
Cut potatoes into small cubes.
Put potatoes into large pan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender (around 20 minutes).
Drain potatoes, reserving 2 cups of liquid. Set aside potatoes.
Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent and tender but not brown.
Add flour, crushed red pepper and black pepper to saucepan. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
Gradually add reserved 2 cups potato liquid, potatoes and milk. Stir well.
Add cheese and cooked meat. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring often. Store covered in refrigerator.
When reheating, add water if needed.
- 5 pounds ground turkey or ground beef
- 2-4 onions, chopped (depending on size)
- 2-3 jars spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups beef or chicken bouillon
- Frozen mixed vegetables (if desired) (32 oz)
- 2 pounds elbow macaroni
Brown ground meat with onions until done. Drain.
Transfer meat to 5-6 quart crock pot and mix with spaghetti sauce and bouillon. Add spices if you like (basil, parsley etc). If adding vegetables, you may need to divide the sauce into two crock pots.
Cook for 4 hours on low to blend flavors.
Cook pasta as directed. In extra large bowl mix hot pasta with meat sauce and transfer to pre-warmed insulated container.
(Hint: cook the meat the night before it is needed and refrigerate it. Mid-morning the day of the race, put everything in the crock pot and go about your day. Then an hour before it has to be at the school, cook the pasta and pre-warm the container with a few cups of hot water.)
- 6 links Italian poultry sausage
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 3 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 large carrots, thinly sliced (or 1/2 bag of frozen sliced carrots)
- 3 large onions, chopped (or 1 bag of frozen diced onions)
- 3 (46 oz.) cans V-8 juice
- 3 cans cannelloni beans
- 6 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Remove sausage casings and cook sausage in a large pot until no longer pink, breaking it up with a fork.
Add the rest of ingredients, except the cheese.
Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Top each serving with parmesan cheese (optional).
- 6 cooked, seasoned chicken breasts (see Note below)
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery bunch, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 32 cups chicken broth (4 large cans or 32 cubes and cups of water)
- 2 bags of fine egg noodles (12 to 16 oz. bags)
Saute first three ingredients in 4 tbsp. of butter in a 12 to 16 quart pot.
Add 32 cups of chicken broth (aka two gallons).
Cut up 6 cooked seasoned chicken breasts and add to broth.
Bring to boil.
Add 2 bags of fine egg noodles and cook until done.
Note: To cook chicken breasts: Line baking pan with foil, lay washed chicken breasts on foil. Spray chicken lightly with Pam and sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, basil, thyme and pepper. Cover loosely with aluminum foil, allow to vent. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Cut chicken to make sure it is done.
- 2-3 lbs. chuck roast, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 large onions
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup flour
- 28 cups water
- 30 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 1/2 cups barley (16 oz)
- 2 tsp. basil
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 bay leaves
Saute onion, garlic, celery, carrots and beef in a little bit of olive oil.
Stir in flour.
Add water, bouillon cubes and seasonings and bring to a boil.
Add barley. Cover and simmer soup until barley is cooked through (about 1 hour).
Remove bay leaves.