Principles of Energy Use
This unit is an introduction to the course content and themes.
- Energy is defined and students learn the many forms and sources of energy that they will be studying.
- Students learn to convert between units of energy such as joules, tce, bboe, kWh, etc.
- Formulas and calculations are introduced and used to measure energy inputs and outputs.
- The concept of energy efficiency is introduced
- Students learn about electricity and use Kill-a-Watt meters to measure energy consumption in their homes
- Students make a small DC motor and learn how motors and generators operate
- Students work in groups to research and do a presentation on sources of renewable and clean energy