The first step in the registration process for all new students takes place by appointment throughout the year in the:
Brighton Central School District’s Registration Office
District Administration Building
2035 Monroe Avenue
Rochester, NY 14618
Appointment times are Monday through Friday, 900am - 300pm. The phone number of the Registration Office is 585-242-5200 ext. 7533 or email email@example.com
Complete the Brighton Registration Form and collect proper documentation (listed below).
- Call (585) 242-5200 ext.7533 to make an appointment to bring the paperwork into the office. By making an appointment, this will ensure the Registrar is in the office at the time of your arrival.
- After the registration documentation has been reviewed and accepted in the Registration Office, you will be given a school packet to complete. This paperwork will need to be completed and taken to the appropriate school building by appointment.
Proof of Age – Evidence of your child’s age is required. (For Example but not limited to: Birth Certificate, Consulate Identification Card, Passport, School ID, Health records, State or Other government-issued ID)
Proof of Custody (if applicable) – If the child’s natural parents are not together, documentation is requested proving custody and/or primary residence of this child.
Proof of Residency - Students must reside within the Brighton Central School District boundaries with their biological parents or legal guardian, or, meet other residency requirements such as a foster child, adoption, emancipation (other situations may apply).
- sending a nonresident student to a school district without proper residency status is not permissible under New York State Law. The BCSD reserves the right to investigate all situations in which residency is not properly documented, and is required to prosecute any violation of the district's residency policy to the fullest extent of the law.
In order to process your child’s registration efficiently, please read the portion that applies to your situation and provide the correct residency documentation.
1. Proof of ownership - suggested but not limited to:
- Mortgage statement, tax bill or deed, along with two pieces of U.S. mail with your name and Brighton address listed.
- Accepted purchase offer if ownership is pending. Occupancy must occur within ninety days of the date on the purchase contract or tuition will be charged. Once the sale is completed, proof of ownership must be provided to the Registration Office (closing statement, deed, HUD-1 settlement statement, mortgage statement)
2. Proof of tenancy
- Signed rental/lease agreement with the child’s name included as an occupant. If the child's name is not on the lease, a letter from owner/landlord stating child is residing with you, accompanied with the lease, is necessary.
- Two pieces of U.S. mail with your name and Brighton address are also required with your lease.
3. Proof of shared residence
- If you are living in the District with a relative/friend, a notarized affidavit from the owner of the property is required. (We can provide you with this form if necessary). If you are staying in a property that is leased/rented, a copy of the lease with ALL tenants listed is required. Ownership approval required.
- The relative/friend must provide proof of ownership (see #1 above)
- In addition to the notarized statement you must also provide at least two pieces of U.S. mail with your name and Brighton address.
Once your registration documentation has been reveiwed by Central Office, a folder from the assigned school will be given to begin the school building registration.
School Building Registration-required documents/information
1. Immunization Records:
- A listing of minimum immunization requirements for entrance into NYS schools can be found online at https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2370.pdf. Please note the district does not provide immunizations. If your child has not had these immunizations, please contact your physician or the Monroe County Health Department, 111 Westfall Road, Rochester, NY 14620, phone (585) 274-6148.
2. Academic Records:
- Transcript (high school students) or most recent report card and standardized test scores from your child’s previous school are required. If you have a copy of these records, please bring them to the school.
- Please inform the school if your child has been receiving Special Education services such as an IEP or 504 Plan. If you have a copy of these records, please bring them to the school.
- ENL (English as a New Language) evaluation, if applicable.
3. New Student Screening (to be performed by Brighton Central School District personnel):
- Academic screening in the areas of math, reading and writing is required if the student is coming from a private or parochial school outside of the Brighton School District OR from any school outside of New York State.
- ENL (English as a New Language) screening is required for those students who are limited or non-English speaking.
- Screening is required for all students K – 2.