Parents of children attending Brighton Central Schools are reminded that the following procedures will be followed when bad weather or emergencies make it necessary for classes to be cancelled or dismissed early.
1. The decision to cancel school for the day is typically made at approximately 6:00 a.m. and the information is posted immediately to our website and an automated phone call will go out. In addition, the following stations are notified*:
- AM RADIO - WHAM 1180, WXXI 1370, WYSL 1040
- FM RADIO - WXXI 91.5, WARM 101.3, Fickle 93.3, the Zone 94.1, WDKX 103.9
- TELEVISION - WROC 8, Spectrum News 9, WHEC 10, WHAM 13, FOX 31,
- Since it is sometimes difficult to get through to the stations, you should check more than one station for information.
2. If schools are open and individual parents determine that weather conditions are too severe to send their own children, the parents should contact each child’s school, inform the secretary, and write a note to that effect when the child returns to school.
3. Early dismissals due to bad weather are kept to a minimum. The stations listed above will be informed of early dismissals. Parents are requested not to call or drive to school so phone lines and driveways can be kept clear.
4. Parents should develop a plan for their children in the event a parent is not home at the time of early dismissal. Parents should provide their children’s teachers with written information on any special circumstances at home that the teacher should know in case of early dismissal: working parents, child care arrangements, etc. Children should also be instructed in these arrangements by the parent.
5. No Brighton school bus transportation will be provided for any student for any purpose when schools are closed for the day.
6. Community Education classes are considered cancelled when schools are closed.
7. Athletic cancellations are recorded on the Sports Line at (585) 242-5244.