Phone: (585) 242-5140 x7293
Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelors of Science in Childhood Education
Childhood Education Certification (1st-6th Grade)
Masters of Science in Reading & Literacy
Reading & Literacy Certification (Birth-6th Grade)
Reading & Literacy Certification (5th-12th Grade)
About Ms. Masz
Hi! I'm Ms. Masz! My full last name is Maszerowski, but I have been going by Ms. Masz since I began at FRES in 2008, first as a substitute teaching assistant my freshman year of college at SUNY Geneseo and then as a substitute teacher through graduate school (also at SUNY Geneseo). After, I was an AIS teacher for two years and was hired as a fifth grade teacher in 2016, making this my eighth year teaching fifth grade!
My pronouns are they/them. I am non-binary, which means I do not identify as a man or a woman. Here's a great article from the Human Rights Council about why pronouns matter.
I am so lucky to work with all of my students, and am incredibly excited to learn with them as we progress through the engaging fifth grade curriculum. We are all going to learn a lot this school year! As a Brighton alum, I can’t wait to share the passion I have for learning with our future graduates!
I teach with an emphasis on social justice using an anti-bias, anti-racist pedagogy. It is my job as an educator to make all of my students feel loved and accepted. Differences are celebrated and not shushed in my class. My door always reads, "EVERYONE IS WELCOME HERE."
My favorite quote is a Mexican proverb:
"They tried to bury us. They didn't know we were seeds."
Fun Facts About Ms. Masz
- I have a pet turtle named Sandwich and a pet rabbit named Captain Jack Harkness
- I live in Sea Breeze with my partner of 10 years, Mark
- I love to do anything creative
- I have a disease called Multiple Sclerosis, and I use mobility aids like a cane, walker, or wheelchair to get around
- I'm a geek - I love Doctor Who, Marvel, and Star Wars!
- I love the color pink
- My hobbies include arts and crafts, reading, and renovating my 94-year-old fixer upper
- I have a small business selling my artwork on stickers, prints, pins, and t-shirts
- I went to FRES too! My fifth grade teacher was the amazing Ms. Giordano
- I am super duper organized!
- My favorite movies are The Lego Movie, Frozen, and The Princess Bride
- I don't drink coffee or tea, but I love root beer!
- I can solve a Rubik's Cube in about a minute
- Music is really important to me - my favorite genres are rock, ska, indie, and musicals
- My favorite animals are bunnies
- My life goal is to read every book I own (seemingly impossible, considering the rate I buy them!)
- My favorite kids books are the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, and The Crossover by Kwame Alexander