Interim Guidance from CDC on Novel Coronavirus
Dear Families and Staff,
A new virus called 2019 Novel Coronavirus has caused an outbreak in China and cases have now been confirmed in other countries, including the United States. The Brighton Central School District, in conjunction with District Physician Dr. Robert Tuite, continues to monitor this developing situation.
As of this time, there have been no confirmed cases of 2019 Novel Coronavirus in New York State.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) continues to provide interim guidance about the virus as new information becomes available. Symptoms of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus include fever, cough and/or difficulty breathing. The same steps recommended for staying healthy during the annual cold and influenza season are also applicable during the outbreak of this new respiratory virus:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick. Do not return to school until you are fever free for 24 hours without using fever-reducing medication.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Information about this new virus is unfolding rapidly. The CDC will update its interim guidance as new details become available. For more information, please visit:
- NYS Health Department https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/#_blank
- Center for Disease Control (Frequently Asked Questions) https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html
We continue to follow this outbreak closely and are in close contact with our school physician, the Monroe County Health Department and the CDC. The health and safety of our students and staff remain our top priority.
If you have any questions, please contact your child’s principal or Director of Student Services Carolyn Rabidoux at (585) 242-5200 or Carolyn_Rabidoux@bcsd.org.
Dr. Kevin McGowan